Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Endangered New Jersey Anniversary #4

Today is the 4th anniversary of this Endangered New Jersey blog which started on March 27, 2009.

Endangered New Jersey actually began as a website built in 1999 for the ThinkQuest website competition for students. The original site is still online and is outdated and "archived" and was built by three sixth grade students (including one of my sons) and two teacher-coaches (including me).


I maintained a revised version of that site for about ten years, but the updates were infrequent and so in in March of 2009, I set myself the task of starting a blog version of Endangered NJ. The blog format allows for more frequent updates, comments from readers - and free hosting for this non-profit effort.

This blog now has almost 600 posts on a broader scope of "endangered" topics and has attracted more than 100,000 views from around the world.

As a longtime volunteer for the NJDEP Wildlife Conservation Corps and the Speakers Bureau, I have had the chance to work on some projects all over the state, see how the state works at protecting threatened and endangered species and talk to citizens about those efforts. My hope is that this site spreads the word on that work and helps educate people in NJ and outside our state about our diverse species and habitats.

No comments: