Monday, February 2, 2015

New Jersey's State-Owned Historic Sites

The NJDEP New Jersey State-Owned Historic Sites offer a variety of historical opportunities. They range from Revolutionary War battlefields, lighthouses, villages and homes from the past of a president, poet or industrial pioneer.

Here are just a few possibilities.



Trenton Battle Monument  Administered by Washington Crossing State Park
348 North Warren Street, Trenton NJ 08638


The monument marks the site of the American artillery emplacement that commanded the streets of Trenton during the battle that led to the defeat of the three Hessian Regiments by the American Army at the Battle of Trenton, December 26, 1776. The monument was designed by John H. Duncan, architect of Grant's tomb.

Clarke House, Princeton Battlefield State Park
500 Mercer Road, Princeton NJ 08540
Built by Thomas Clarke in 1772, the house is located on Princeton Battlefield and was the scene of heavy fighting during the Battle of Princeton. General Hugh Mercer was mortally wounded nearby and was carried to the Clarke House, where he died nine days after the battle.


Twin Lights
Lighthouse Road, Highlands NJ 07732


The current brownstone structure was built in 1862 and served as the primary seacoast light marking the entrance to New York Harbor. The towers are not identical twins; the south tower is square and the north is octagonal. This 1862 structure replaced an earlier twin tower lighthouse.

 Visit the Twin Lights virtual tour.


Wallace House
71 Somerset Street, Somerville NJ 08876
The Wallace House was completed in 1776 as Hope Farm for John Wallace, a successful Philadelphia merchant. General Washington leased the house for use as his headquarters during the Middlebrook Winter Encampment, December 11, 1778, to June 3, 1779. The house is one of the best and most original examples of Georgian architecture in New Jersey.

NJN invites visitors to experience New Jersey's colonial history first-hand. View there short film spot about the Wallace House


Walt Whitman House
330 Mickle Boulevard, Camden NJ 08103
The renowned poet lived in this house from 1884 until his death in 1892, and received many visitors during that time including the painter Thomas Eakins, naturalist John Burroughs and writers Oscar Wilde and Bram Stoker. The house is furnished with a number of pieces owned and used by Whitman.


Get the Official Guide for New Jersey State Parks, Forests & Historic Sites as a mobile app on your phone or tablet. It includes Enhanced GPS Features and is free. 
Go to www.pocketranger.com/apps/new-jersey on your mobile device.



No comments:

Post a Comment