There are apps for so many things today that it's impossible to keep track of all of the. But one that you may want to download (for free) is The Official Guide for New Jersey State Parks, Forests & Historic Sites. This app, powered by Pocket Ranger®, has a long list of information pages and GPS features for visitors to the state's parks. (There are ones for other states too, if you're doing some road trips.)
Having the app is like having the state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests website in your hand, but better because the the enhnced GPS mapping features.
You can search for "Pocket Ranger®" in either the Apple App Store or Google Play or go to pocketranger.com/apps/new-jersey for more information on downloading.
The GPS features are especially useful:
- access trail data, record tracks from hikes, runs, or bike rides, and view elapsed time and distance traveled
- Easy-to-cache GPS Terrain Map tiles, which ensure that navigation remains possible in the event of lost mobile reception.
- Photo waypoint feature allowing users to snap a photo and mark and record the coordinates of plant life, animal species or landscape views. Post or share these finds with family and friends with the click of a button.
- Friend Finder feature that allows users to keep track of friends and family around the parks.
- Built-in compass
- Alert feature that supplies users' GPS coordinates to designated contacts in case of an emergency.
Plus there are also many non-GPS features to help you explore:
- Information on all State Parks including general policy, contact information, activities, trails, park maps and much more.
- Detailed, cacheable maps of park facilities, trails and campgrounds.
- Up-to-date news and information on park advisories and weather information.
- Sharing features that allow users to share current positions, waypoints and recorded tracks via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
- A Calendar of Events, updated in real time, listing all State Park events with the ability to filter by desired park. Users can also create their own schedule that can include any event from any park.
- Access to online reservations that make it easy to secure overnight visits.