The Greater Newark Conservancy promotes environmental stewardship to improve the quality of life in New Jersey's urban communities. Founded in 1987, the Conservancy has four program areas--environmental education, community greening and gardening, job training and advocacy for environmental justice.
The Community Greening Program addresses Newark's deficit of quality preserved open space by enhancing existing community parks, creating new pocket parks, establishing greenways, and improving neighborhoods with street trees, street-side planted flower barrels and community gardens.
The program works with Newark residents to transform neighborhoods with curbside flower barrels and lush community gardens on former vacant lots. These urban farms increase accessibility to food sources for urban residents by providing high quality, locally grown healthy food using natural pest control methods.
The Conservancy's greening strategies not only promote visual improvements to city neighborhoods, but also empower residents to take back their streets and to understand the role that they can have in local issues that affect their quality of life.
Greater Newark Conservancy's Education Program offers a variety of hands-on environmentally themed lessons. Active participation in the programs increases student enthusiasm, comprehension and retention of key concepts that span the school's curriculum.
All programs and in-class lessons are:
Science and literacy based
Correlated to the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards
Tailored to student ability
Download the Current Program Brochure for programs offered at the Prudential Outdoor Learning Center for adults and children.
Greater Newark Conservancy is transforming two vacant buildings and the surrounding 1.5 acres in downtown Newark, NJ into the state's first urban environmental education resource center. What will become the main building of the Center is an historic 1884 former synagogue/church on Prince Street, near Springfield Avenue. This 15,800-square-foot building will be transformed into a large lecture hall/community space, environmental classrooms, a demonstration kitchen/laboratory, environmental exhibit galleries and a computer library.