Friday, November 27, 2015

New Jersey's Wild Cat

Bobbie 2010 2.jpg
Bobcat by Bill W Ca at en.wikipedia. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons.


Bobcats, Lynx rufus, are active all throughout the year, especially at night, and are New Jersey's only wild cat.

These medium size felines can weigh between 15-35 pounds and are identified by their small ear tufts, tan, black and white spots and stripes patterned fur. They get their common name from the short "bobbed" tail with black only at the tip.

The much larger adult mountain lions can weigh 80-200 pounds and have a long tail, no ear tufts and solid tawny fur. Don't worry, you won't encounter the mountain lion (AKA cougar, puma, panther, or catamount) on your New Jersey walks. The last ones in the state were killed in Atlantic, Cape May and Ocean counties around 1840.

Bobcats originally were more widespread throughout the state. Now, they appear to be limited to mainly Sussex, Warren, Morris, Passaic and Hunterdon counties, along with some sighting in the Pinelands.

They are listed as a State Endangered species. The NJDEP uses radio telemetry and camera studies and reports by citizen scientists and physical evidence (scat, tracks and road-kill recovery) to monotor the population. They appear to be widening their range, including moving to and from bordering Pennsylvania and New York.

Still, these rather secretive animals are a rare sighting for the casual woods walker. They live in a variety of habitat types, including woodland, wetland and agricultural settings in our state. My only sighting was on a walk in a rocky, forest area in Sussex County.

A Warren County reader of this blog posted a comment on an earlier post this year and asked if what his home security camera captured was a lynx or bobcat. I replied that no "lynx" exist in NJ, but the bobcat is "Lynx rufus" scientifically and it is NJ's only wild cat species.

Though he wasn't asking a question of semantics, the "lynx" is a member of the cat family found in temperate and colder areas of the Northern Hemisphere. There are four species of lynx: the Canada lynx (which is the one people are thinking of when they use that name), the Spanish lynx, the bobcat, and the caracal.

The difference of lynx versus bobcat is mostly one of size and habitat. The lynx is sadly valued for its warm, lightweight fur. Most lynxes are grayish-brown in color, often spotted or streaked with black. They have short bodies, stumpy tails, and tufted ears.

Here is the reader's video of the visitor passing by his home which he posted on YouTube.


10 comments:

Stone Arabia said...

I wonder why he dropped the focus on the groundhog.

Anonymous said...

I saw a bobcat in the bricktown, NJ area. It was near the woods at the entrance of prkwy south (91). Looked like probably an adolescent, but definitely had all the characteristics of a bobcat.

Anonymous said...

And the earth is flat also right? So you're telling me and every other level headed person out there that is reading this that since 1840, exactly 182 years yes I said 182 years that no cougar/mountain lion has stepped foot in New Jersey?!! Wow.. I'm blown away from this fact. So they can't walk right into our state? Swim across rivers? Migrate? Walk across a bridge? Hitch a ride in the back of a truck? (Jk lol but totally possible). There has been multiple pictures from trail cams and visual sightings all over South jersey that I have seen. I've investigated tracks in the snow and confirmed after a sighting. Yes I said confirmed. I'm not sure if the state forced u to write that but definitely take precaution whenever your in the woods people. They probably came up with this so people will go to parks and wildlife refugees to save their state jobs. If people didn't go to thier "safe hiking trails" on the state properties they wouldn't have Jobs. There's some reality and truth for you I still am in disbelief that they actually think they "killed and eradicated all cougars/mountain lions from south jersey" I'm done now thank you be safe

Michael Jackson said...

I agree. Apparently they are in neighboring states. I don't believe it either.

Anonymous said...

I saw one several years ago on rt 88 near St. Dominic's

Tropic Treasures said...

I agree. I think I saw one this morning in Upper Saddle River... May have been a bobcat but looked like a mountain lion from to the back running away...

Diane Bongo said...

2 nights ago I heard a loud scream I grabbed a flashlight and walked outside in my robe this animal ran fast and was so loud it boudoir off a large metal garage! I contacted my neighbor who has a observatory and he's out at all ours he immediately said it was a cougar,he's seen her and heard her
Whose to say they aren't coming back they have taken the turnpike gotcoff exit 8a and came to my town
I live in monmouth County Millstone twp
I agree w you 100% I've been listening to all the wildcat noises and that's the only one that fits I wish I saw her I say her bc it's mating season
Thanks a bunch

Anonymous said...

Love how gullible people are today still in belief they once saw a mountain lion in nj with no proof and yet everyone has a picture phone in hand. Haha. There has never been any proof till this day. Unfortunately all these sightings have been by people who have never seen a bobcat as well and never really sat down to wonder why mountain lion sightings on the west coast are usually above 9000 ft. Oops. I forgot here in jersey its 10000 ft...lol...👌

Anonymous said...

I saw a bobcat in Hackettstown, New Jersey while kayaking I have a video

Anonymous said...

Just saw one in my backyard just now